Thursday, May 31, 2007

Kalakand


As a child I hated anything sweet. So much so, that whenever someone would offer me chocolates as a child I would politely thank them and hand it over to my mother or father (they both are major sweet lovers). People often commented on how odd it was, but I would steer clear of anything even slightly sweet. Give me some spicy samosas or chips over sugar anyday.

That was then, not sure if having a baby permanently blew some nerves or what, but since the day my daughter was born two years ago, I crave sweets. Halwas, cakes, gulab jamun, cookies… even a teaspoon of sugar if nothing else is available!

Anyway, I am always on the lookout for simple yet delicious Indian Sweet recipes. The Kalakand from Sandeepa's Bong Mom's Cookbook fit the bill perfectly. This was one of the first recipes I tried from any blog and I make it quite regularly. Only 2 ingredients and takes exactly 18 minutes, don't need to refer to the original recipe more than once - what more can I ask for? I have made this so many times that I almost think of it as my own recipe.


Ingredients:

Condensed Milk

Ricotta Cheese

(both ingredients should be of 1:1 ratio, I use 1 can condensed milk and use the same can to measure the ricotta cheese)

1/2 tspn cardamom powder (optional)

Sliced almonds or pistachios sliced for garnishing on top (optional)


Method:

Pour the condensed milk and ricotta cheese (and cardamom powder if adding) in a glass container and mix well. (try to make sure the mixture only half fills the container so it does not overflow while heating)

Microwave 5 minutes on high, mix well, Do this 3 times (so you have heated for 15 min)

Then heat for 1 or 2 min and mix well, till you find the mixture has dried siginficantly and has a kalakand-like texture. Make sure there is some mositre left as it gets a little drier on colling down.

Cut into squares, garnish with sliced nuts and enjoy!


I made this hoping it would be my entry for MBP-Sweets hosted by Coffee. But I completely forgot that the deadline was the 20th of the month, so I was way too late for the event. Nevertheless, I loved the excuse it gave me to make this delicious sweet and to eat it too!

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger bee said...

that looks too gorgoeus for such an easy recipe. i will try it.

May 31, 2007 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger Roopa said...

Hi Sj, that looks fabulous looking kalakand :).

May 31, 2007 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger Sia said...

first time i had kalakand in belgaum and thats it, fell in love with this delicious sweet. belagaum is famous for ita kalakand. beautiful recipe SJ...

June 1, 2007 at 3:43 AM  
Blogger Srivalli said...

Great one from such simple ones.

June 1, 2007 at 4:37 AM  
Blogger Bong Mom said...

SJ
This one looks really good. That Kalakand recipe is awfully simple isn't it ? Try the mango pudding, thats even easier

June 1, 2007 at 5:40 AM  
Blogger Richa said...

hey, kalakand looks yum! it is a fantastic sweet for the time reqd! i too prepare it this way and reduce the condensed milk a bit!

June 1, 2007 at 6:06 AM  
Blogger FH said...

We lived in Belgaum for 4 yrs,loved Kalakand.I make it from scratch.I will post sometime later.Looks gorgeous.I will try the easy way too,no problem with that!:))

June 1, 2007 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger Tee said...

Your Kalakand looks great and what an easy recipe!
My 'to try recipes' list just keeps getting longer...but i am not complaining :)
Thanks!

June 1, 2007 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Suganya said...

That sounds so easy and the pic look gorgeous.

June 1, 2007 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Bee, Roopa, Sia, Srivalli,
Thanks, it is indeed easy. I make it often when I need something that looks and tastes good in a jiffy, do try it.

Sandeepa, will try the mango pudding too sometime.

Richa, that's a good suggestion, I'll play around with the amount of condensed milk.

Asha, I look forward to your original Kalakand recipe strating with milk.

Tee, Suganya, let me know how it turns out - it's hard to go wrong with this one.

June 2, 2007 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger sunita said...

I loved sweets when I was a little girl (no handing them over for me) and I love them still...that kalakand looks gorgeous...

June 11, 2007 at 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How simple is the recipe! And it looks delicious!

June 13, 2007 at 5:15 AM  
Blogger Sharmi said...

you made that out of ricotta?? amazing and so beautiful. I wish I could taste. real treat to the eyes.

July 23, 2007 at 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A delicious kalakand - made differently!

July 2, 2008 at 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi SJ,
Hope u r keeping well. Kalaand is always my favorite for desserts. This one a little different, but will try it out at home. I stumbled your post .

September 25, 2008 at 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home