Monday, January 29, 2007

Pumpkin Spice Cake


When I heard that the next JFI ingredient selected by Rosie was ginger, I was thrilled, this one would be a breeze. I use ginger in most of my cooking. Be it daal, chole, rajma, chicken, mutton and most types of fish… it is easier for me list out the few dishes I make that do not use ginger! However, I thought it would be nice to try out something I had never made before.. Hmmm, maybe not so easy after all. So I searched the web and came up with this cake. The recipe is from Betty Crocker's recipes and I have made some modifications to suit the ingredients I had at hand.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 cups Bisquick mix (original recipe used 2 cups all purpose flour and 1 tsp baking soda)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder (original recipe uses cloves)
1 cup chopped pecans (or any other nut or even raisins would work fine)

Method:
Lightly grease a large baking pan. I used 13x10x2 sized pyrex dish. This cake is large and comes out better if baked more flat and spread out.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl mix the following well till smooth - eggs, oil, sugar, pumpkin.
Add cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg and baking powder and fold into the batter
Gently fold in flour (or Bisquick) and mix well till the batter is smooth with no lumps.
Pour into baking dish and bake till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (Took about 30 min for me)

The original recipes also suggests a frosting, which I skipped altogether. The end result was a delicious, super moist cake, which I'll certainly make again!

Thanks Rosie for hosting this event!

Handy Hint:I was out of baking soda so used Bisquick instead. You can use it for any cake recipe, just reduce/remove the amount of baking soda you use. Bisquick is basically flour with some baking soda pre-mixed in it and has always worked quite well for me.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger FH said...

Hi SJ,beautiful cake.Great color and a great entry for JFI.Can't wait to see the round up!:)

January 30, 2007 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Hi Asha,
Thanks a lot! I too am impatient to see the round up. I think there will be a lot of unusual uses of ginger we'll see.

January 30, 2007 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Bong Mom said...

hey sj,
that's a great looking cake, looks really lovely

January 30, 2007 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Bong Mom said...

Hey SJ
Saw your question on the Egg Bake

1. Make the gravy thick enough, the proportions are as given in the blog but thicken the gravy

2. When you bake, the gravy will almost dry up, there will be no jhol as such, it will be moist but no jhol. Since the gravy is thick it will brown and make the eggs moist but jhol thakbe na

Ar kichu janar thale bolo an let mw know how it turned out :)

February 2, 2007 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Sandeepa, thanks! I thought the pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon combination was unusual and nice. Do try it sometime.

March 15, 2007 at 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home