Friday, March 23, 2007

Achaari Chicken



Eureka - I finally got it! I formulated "SJ's law of JFI participation". It goes somewhat like this… the more I use a JFI ingredient in my daily cooking, the more likely I am to miss the deadline for the event. Potatoes, I had like a dozen recipes I planned to make. So easy… and I missed the deadline completely. Tomatoes, again something I use in so many of my daily dishes and again here I am, it almost slipped my mind. But no, this time I decided to make something and post it well in advance. Well… ahem.. errrr, the reason also had a little to do with the fact that I started to cook chicken and then realized I was out of onions, so I had to improvise.

Anyway, I had a lot of tomatoes and some Shaan achar masala handy and came up with this delicious recipe. I don’t usually use the ready masalas for non vegetarian cooking, but I do keep some ready spices handy for times when I am in a rush or feel plain lazy. My family's spice (as in chilly) toleration is somewhat low, if you can handle the heat I'd recommend sticking to the instructions at the back of the packet (at least for the Shaan brand of masala), I needed to make some changes to use less masala and add some other stuff.

Ingredients:
~1.5 pound chicken
1 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
1 tbsp ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 green chilly (or more if you'd like)
4-5 large tomatoes (chopped very fine or pureed)
1 cup yogurt
~ 1/3 packet Shaan Achaar Gosht masala

Method:
Add some oil and fry the , kalonji, saunf, green chilly, garlic for a few minutes.
Add ginger and chicken and "bhuno" for a few minutes.
I was in a hurry and did not fry till the chicken pieces were browned. If you do this, it will taste even better.
Add, tomatoes, yogurt and a little (maybe 3/4 or 1 cup) water. Add the Shaan masala now. Cover and cook on low heat till meat is cooked and gravy is as think as you want. I like a little gravy to drown my rice or rotis in. You could add less water than I did and have a thicker gravy.
Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
This is my entry for JFI-Tomato hosted by RP.

Warning: The masala itself has salt, so usually you won't need to add salt. I added less masala than the recipe called for since it also makes the dish very hot (as in "jhaal" or spicy), so I added some salt as needed and added a little more tomatoes than the original recipe.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Bong Mom said...

Shaan Achari masala is really good, I agree.
And you are so right about the "Law". I am sure I will miss this JFI too if I don't think of something quick :)

The chicken looks real good, beautiful pic

March 24, 2007 at 6:52 AM  
Blogger FH said...

Achari chicken!! How creative.Looks great sj!Thanks girl:)

March 26, 2007 at 6:33 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Sandeepa, thanks! I find photos taken in daylight look much better, but then I don't always get home before dark :-( I love *all* your photos.

Asha, thanks. It tasted good too though it was such a low effort recipe.

March 26, 2007 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Mandira said...

The achari chicken looks absolutely fabulous. You made the deadline.. I'm still thinking;)

March 31, 2007 at 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely colour...Looks delicious!

April 17, 2007 at 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog and your recipes are a treat for last my last minute cooking ventures. I do liberally pass on your blog to my friends

July 21, 2007 at 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Neha said...

Boneless is chicken is better or not?

February 24, 2015 at 7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home