Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Kolkata's Mishti Doi



No account of Bengali sweets is complete without "Mishti Doi" or sweet yoghurt. It is a must-have item on all auspicious occasions for Bengalis.Having grown up outside Bengal for most of my life, mishti doi has always been a special treat. (Till recently I don't think it was available in Bombay).... Something we would have only while visiting family in Bengal or Bihar.

So when a friend gave me the recipe for Mishti Doi (and a very simple one too!) I was thrilled. I made it at once and then I filed it away so well that I never foundit again! :-) The other day, I tried it from memory and it turned out very close the mishti doi we get in Kolkata.

Without much ado, here is the recipe:

1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 can (12 oz) Evaporated Milk
~1 cup plain yogurt

Mix all ingredients well and pour into a flat over-safe container. Bake at 200 F for about 1 hr 15 min or till it sets. Cool and then refrigerate.

BTW, did you know that even early Vedic texts speak of curds and call it the "food of the Gods"? A blended curd-rice dish is mentioned in the Rigveda as karambha (I have been told that is it's name name even today in Gujarati).

Labels: , ,